It’s taken me quite some time to accept that i am a slave to my chocolate cravings. I do know who’s boss in this tussle, and it’s really never been me. I clutch at all the stats and research that suggests chocolate is undeniably, unequivocally, unbelievably, unimaginably good for you. But I guess I’ve always really known the truth. This Chocolate Hazelnut Torte is for when you know better but choose to go there anyway.
300g good quality dark chocolate
1/2 cup brandy
3/4 cup caster sugar
1 1/2 cups hazelnuts
1. Melt chocolate and butter. Cool slightly. Stir in brandy
2. Beat egg yolks and sugar to frothy. Add to cooled chocolate mix and beat to combine.
3. Toast hazelnuts then crush when cool.
4. Add hazelnuts to choc egg mix. Beat to combine.
5. Beat eggwhites to soft peak stage then fold into chocolate mixture.
6. Pour mixture into lined tin. Bake for 1 hour at 170°C.
7. Stand in pan for 10 minutes then turn out onto wire rack.
I like a simple decorative aspect to this luscious little number and usually go for a heavy dusting of icing sugar and a pile of berries or strawberries, but you could also completely glam it up with a decadent ganache. That’s between you and your scales.