“You’re not much of a celebrity, are you?”.
I’m smidgingly besotted by India. If I could only travel to one more country in my entire lifetime it would be that enigmatic, perplexing, intoxicating country.
I’ve visited her half a dozen times and spent a total of about two and a half years there, but every now and then I feel a pang to return which is so visceral I wonder if I might not have a drop or two of Indian blood mingling with my Irish Australian convict heritage.
I’ve been collating my favorite Indian recipes for over a decade now but haven’t managed to snare that elusive cookbook deal. I’ve encountered the un-celeb ceiling. In all honestly a publisher once said to me: “You’re not much of a celebrity, are you?”.
No, no I’m not. But these are great recipes and I’m happy to share them with anyone who loves this magical cuisine. Starting with one of my favorites: Chickpeas in Coconut Milk.
- 4 tomatoes (peeled and chopped)
- 4 onions
- 2 green chilli
- 3 TBS oil
- ½ TBS turmeric
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp fennel
- 1 cup water
- 2 tsp coriander
- 2 tsp chilli powder
- 6 cloves garlic
- Piece of ginger (size of your thumb)
- ½ TBS mustard seeds
- 12 curry leaves
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas
- ½ cup water
- 1 cup coconut milk
- Fry mustard seeds and curry leaves in oil
- Add tomatoes, chilli and onion and fry for 4-5 mins
- Grate or puree the garlic and ginger and add to the mix
- Toss in remaining spices and chickpeas
- Pour water over the mix and simmer uncovered for 4-5 mins
- Add coconut milk and simmer for 7-10 mins checking liquid after 5 mins
- Eat and Enjoy!